11 November, 2013

Hand Gestures

Argentines talk with their hands. Everything people say is accompanied with large motions and hand gestures. It is here that we can observe the strong European influence, especially Italian, on Argentina.

Italiano: When I think of Italy, I immediately think of pasta and this hand gesture. Interestingly, pasta actually originated from Chile. Why it became iconic of Italy later, I have no idea. Anyway, this symbol has a variety of meanings depending on the situation. If a friend is in a particularly bad mood for no apparent reason it's means an irritated "What's your problem?". However, it can be bewilderment/awe of someone or something's stupidity (government) or a question when you are completely stumped (chemistry).  Now that I think of it, it has the same meaning as wtf!





Ojo, la posta: Other gestures such as "¡Ojo!", "la posta", and " are both interesting and new gestures to me. "¡Ojo!" means be careful or watchful of and is simply the index finger pulling down the lower lid of the eye. "La posta" is a brief okay sign in a downward motion close to the chest. It means basically means 'the very best'.







Thumbs Up: There are some hand gestures that hold entirely different meanings in other countries. For example, a thumbs up means the number one in France . In most provinces of Argentina, this sign has the same meaning as the US, however I know certain areas where it means 'shove it'. Luckily, in my city of Santa Rosa, La Pampa, the thumbs up not considered vulgar; otherwise I do not know how I would survive.



Here are a few others:





I have no idea








Qui Qui - Be afraid, watch out

I couldn't find a picture of it but I'd describe this gesture as an upside down "blah blah blah"

(*It's not Bon Qui Qui either. Although I'd definitely  be afraid and watch out for her.)











tack tack - cheapskate














 Tomatela! - F-off! Leave me alone




Did you know that there that each language has a different sign language?! Can you imagine sign interpreters? Fortunately however, one sign is international. To the extent of my knowledge, you can pull the middle finger and get your point across in every language and culture...

- From Argentina With Love

No comments:

Post a Comment