25 December, 2013

Feliz Navidad!


 
I hope you all had a wonderful X-mas. I sure did! Although passing the holidays away from home can be the hardest. It never truly feels like Christmas unless I'm with my family, freezing our butts off together in the winter cold.
 
And the plastic tree... every year my family has one of the biggest Christmas trees ever. I remember once that the tree touched the ceiling of the second floor.
 
I also missed the fireworks. Some of my fondest (and most mischievous) memories are with fireworks.
 
This is my day to miss home, even if I'm at home away from home.
 
 
Christmas in Argentina - Culturally
 
 There are a few things celebrated differently in Argentina. Unlike the US, the Christmas is celebrated mostly on the 24th. Also, instead of waiting until morning to open presents, kids get to stay up late on the Eve of Christmas because presents are opened at midnight.
 
Argentina like many other Latin American countries, is Catholic. So then, not only is Christmas a family holiday, but is also more religious than the Santa Claus-capitalistic American holiday. Before Christmas the nativity scene or 'pesebre' is placed close to or under the tree. However, Jesus only joins them on Christmas, in accordance to his birth.
 
Argentines are a big meat lovers, so it is no surprise that Christmas is filled with "Asados" and "Parilladas" (check out my 'uncle's asado! below right) together with family and friends. As desserts there are every sort of chocolate, Pan Dulce (above), and a new/strange thing called turrĂ³n (below left). It's a sugary tablet with peanuts (I really don't know how to try and explain it). Someone told me it originated in the Middle East.
 
Anyway, just like the US, everyone forgets the ominous word 'diet' during the holidays ;)
 
Happy Holidays!
 
 
 
~ From Argentina With Love


No comments:

Post a Comment